Thursday, October 15, 2015

Triple G Feels At Home - Lemieux Seeks Redemption

Golovkin (L) and Lemieux) expect a all out brawl.


Andrew Rosario

For someone born and raised in Karaganda, Kazakhstan while training and living in Los Angeles, Gennady (Triple G) Golovkin feels right at home when he fights at Madison Square Garden. When he steps into the ring Saturday night against Canadian David Lemieux it will be the 4th time he has fought at the Worlds Most Famous Arena. The Mecca of Boxing. Golovkin takes his perfect record 33-0 (30KO’s) and 3 belts into the ring against Lemieux 34-2 (31KO’s) who, after winning his first 25 fights, lost his next 2. Since then, Lemieux is 9-0, winning the vacant IBF Middleweight World Title defeating Hassan N‘ Dam knocking him down four times.   

The results of Triple G’s fights have been very impressive. He has defended his title 14 consecutive times. Golovkin has a 91% knockout rate and his fights last a little more than 4 rounds. The last 20 fights saw only 2 opponents go more than 10 rounds. If it sounds like Lemieux has his hands full, well he does. Given all that, Golovkin did admit that the fight will be his toughest to date something he acknowledged. “He (Lemieux) is a champion. A very dangerous guy,” he said. 

Meanwhile, Lemieux was coasting and piling up victories with 12 of those 25 wins coming by knockout. His first loss came at the hands of tough Mexican Marco Antonio Rubio (Golovkin knocked out Rubio in 2 rounds) who stopped Lemieux in 7. Eight months later, looking to rebound, Lemieux  lost his WBC International Title in a 12 round unanimous decision against Joachim Alcine. He knew he had to regroup in order to become a contender again. “I had a bumpy road,” he began. “I did everything necessary and I’m proud of what i’ve done. It’s not by luck, it’s by hard work and determination and a lot of faith.”

When Golovkin steps into the ring for the 4th time Saturday night he expects the crowd to be on his side. Something that gives him a certain amount of comfort. “I love history. It is very important for me and for my team and for my career.” Meanwhile, Lemieux knows that in order to come out victorious, he has to put the losses behind him. “I have to be on the top of my game,” he said. “I’m at my best physical condition and best mental aspect I’ve ever been. I’m extremely ready for this fight.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

TigerDirect